Women’s Ice Hockey Trades Second Period Goals with Sacred Heart, Skates to 1-1 (OT) Tie

Women’s Ice Hockey Trades Second Period Goals with Sacred Heart, Skates to 1-1 (OT) Tie

WINCHENDON, Mass. (December 2, 2016) – In a defensively-oriented contest on Friday night at the Jason Ritchie Ice Arena, the game's only two goals came in a span of just 36 seconds late in the second period. Freshman forward Meg Gilbride (Braintree, Mass.) struck first for the Franklin Pierce University women's ice hockey team, while freshman defenseman Jayne Lewis had the answer for Sacred Heart, as the two sides skated to a 1-1 (OT) tie in non-conference play.

With the tie, Franklin Pierce now stands at 7-2-1, while Sacred Heart moves to 3-6-1. The two teams will meet again on Saturday afternoon to complete the weekend series. Opening faceoff is set for 2 p.m. at Sports Center of Connecticut in Shelton, Conn.

The first period featured no scoring, though each team did come up with one breakaway opportunity. With the Ravens shorthanded after the midway point of the stanza, senior forward Marisa Ketterman (Palmer, Alaska) picked off an ill-advised blue line pass by the Sacred Heart power play and struck out on her own headed the other way. She deked to the right post and drew a penalty in the process, but was stymied by the left pad of Sacred Heart junior goaltender Devan Kane at the 14:30 mark.

Less than four minutes later, freshman forward Victoria Grimmer would come up with a partial breakaway streaking down the right wing for the Pioneers. She had the angle on her defender, cut through the slot and made a move to stuff the puck inside the left post, but was met by the right pad of Franklin Pierce senior netminder Shannon O'Neil (Tewksbury, Mass.).

Both of the game's goals came in quick succession late in the second period. Franklin Pierce struck first, at the 16:17 mark, on Gilbride's fourth goal of the season. She snapped a shot over the shoulder of Kane from the left-wing circle, beating the goalie to the short side. Senior forward Nina Danforth (Stratford, Conn.) picked up the lone assist on the play.

Sacred Heart had the answer just 36 seconds later, at the 16:53 mark, on the first collegiate goal for Lewis. Sophomore forward Katie Stueve set up the play by carrying the puck behind the goal, moving from left to right. As she exited on the right-wing side of the cage, she fed the puck to Lewis just outside the crease at the right post, and the latter stuffed her shot past O'Neil from there.

The remainder of the second period, as well as the entirety of the third period and overtime would go without further scoring, as the teams skated to the 1-1 tie. Franklin Pierce stepped on the accelerator and held a 14-6 advantage in shots in the third period, but also came up empty on a pair of power-play opportunities in the frame.

O'Neil (6-2-1) finished with 28 saves against 29 shots on goal in the crease for Franklin Pierce. Kane (1-6-1) made 30 stops against 31 shots between the pipes for Sacred Heart.

For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics). Fans wishing to purchase Franklin Pierce women's ice hockey apparel can do so at the Department of Athletics' online store (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu/store).